Monday, August 4, 2008

Blue Angels

This weekend the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels graced the skies over Lake Washington as part of Seattle's Seafair. Since we were in Seattle for Andrew's internship (two summers ago), this event has become one of my favorites. Seafair lasts for probably a month, if you consider all the events that are held; there are milk carton derbies, torchlight parades, pirates (the Arrrrrgh! kind) landing at Alki Beach, and of course the jet boat races and Blue Angels airshow.

As we watch the Blue Angels perform I am inspired, impressed, and super nervous. I can't imagine how the families of the Blue Angels let them do what they do (Andrew is lucky that I let him cross the street by himself)! For those of you that have not seen the Blue Angels perform, it is an incredible experience. The show is full of stunts where 4 planes fly very close together (some upside down) making tight turns, where two planes head towards each other on a collision course and then pull themselves sideways to avoid impact right at the last moment, and lots more crazy stunts. My favorite stunt is where six planes fly together high up and then suddenly dive straight down for a while before fanning out (the exhaust trails make an awesome shape).

One of the most impressive things to remember as you watch the Blue Angels is that they are merely representatives of our the talents and skills possesed by our country's service men and women. Across the world there are pilots doing similarly dangerous maneuvers, just not for the enjoyment of an admiring crowd. I am truly inspired by those who serve in our country's armed forces and serve to protect the people of our country and the world.


The Blue Angels In Flight - Amazing videos are here

2 comments:

  1. Laura- That is so amazing! I definitely want to check it out now! Next time we're up in Seattle, we'll have to try and see the show. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is really amazing. I remember seeing them once or twice when I was a kid. My dad loved going to the airshows when he worked at Boeing. Cool!

    ReplyDelete